There are 30,000 schools in the UK. Pray for Schools longs to see every single one of them supported by regular Christian prayer.
What do you do when your local school is vandalised? Or you hear one of the teachers has been diagnosed with cancer? Or new education policies are implemented?
Do you feel worried? Wonder what can be done? Or do you pray?
There are 30,000 schools in the UK, and Pray for School’s vision is to see every single one of them supported by regular Christian prayer. Pray for Schools is not an organisation to ‘join’, but a network that exists simply to encourage prayer for schools in partnership with prayer groups, churches and Christian organisations. With prayer the combined efforts of Christian teachers, parents, governors, school board members and many others will become more effective.
Pray for Schools encourages prayer for schools in three ways:
- Maintaining a record of all schools in the UK who are supported by prayer groups or praying individuals at any time. There are many groups already praying. If groups register with us, then we can put others wanting to pray for those schools in touch with them. We also provide guidelines for groups and individuals who want to start praying for a school.
- Promoting larger prayer events for schools in an area, organised around Education Sunday, Pray for Schools Fortnight, Back to School Sunday and Pray Day for Schools.
- Encouraging churches to pray for and support their local schools.
Our values include:
- Strengthening collaborative partnerships as we work across denominations and Christian organisations
- Respecting the schools that we pray for; supporting and affirming all that is good within our school communities
- Promoting integrity in our groups, especially on matters of confidentiality
Pray for Schools partners
Pray for Schools has grown out of the work of the Schools Prayer Network and is an partnership between CARE, Youth for Christ, Scripture Union, Association of Christian Teachers, Churches Together England and Prayer Spaces in Schools. Together these organisations promote Pray for Schools in their networks, and provide resources for Pray for Schools groups and events.
In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, the database of schools being prayed for is facilitated by CARE. In Scotland, it is held by Scripture Union Scotland, as Pray for Schools Scotland. We maintain a record of all schools in the UK which are supported by prayer groups or praying individuals at any time.
Each region has a Pray for Schools Coordinator, who sends out newsletters and supports prayer groups in the region. You can contact them here.