Here are some guidelines to help you get started with praying for your school.
- Pray about your plans, asking God to lead you to the right contacts and direct your planning.
- Share the idea with some people who might be interested.
- Talk to any existing Christian group which meets in the school and get them on board – it is important for Christians to work together!
- Identify a Christian staff member, youth worker or chaplain and share your idea with them.
- Find out who in the school needs to give permission for it to happen and get their approval.
- Plan an initial meeting.
- Produce a poster about the initial meeting. Make sure you inform people of future meetings in case folks can’t attend the first one.
- Contact known Christians in the school and invite them along, or ask them to give you suggestions for prayer.
- Check out if your school is already a prayed for school! Contact us to check this and if so, let that group know what is happening – you need prayer support! Keep them posted with prayer requests and regular updates on how your prayer group is going.
- Prepare to start small. Don’t be disappointed if hordes don’t turn up! Two or three praying regularly can make areal difference.
- Continue to raise the profile of prayer in your school. Could you lead an assembly? Or make a prayer box for pupils to post in prayer requests and have it in a safe, but prominent place (remember to empty it regularly!!) Perhaps turn an empty contemplation room into a prayer space? (see Prayer Spaces in Schools for ideas of what to put in it).
- Persevere. Remember people will be watching you, to see how easily you give up! Bear in mind 1 Timothy 4:15-16: “Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.”
- Share your stories. Answered prayer can build faith, and bring others to Christ.
Thanks to Pray for Schools Scotland for these guidelines.